Monday, August 3, 2009

A Patriotic Night

Through the generosity of thousands of Americans, the Freedom Alliance Scholarship Fund has awarded $2.5 million in scholarships to the sons and daughters of American heroes in the last several years.

What a wonderful weekend! We were fortunate to be given tickets to Sean Hannity's Freedom Alliance Concert last Christmas as a present. We had four great seats at the Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion in The Woodlands, Texas. It was a WOW for all of us. My daughter, husband and I were supposed to go with my husband's brother but he couldn't make it. We told our friend, Ursula, that we had an extra ticket. She and her family were already going but she said she'd ask around. She found a young college student friend from church who is a student at A&M who wanted to go so he was able to join us.

The line up is in this picture above. (Anyone know how I can move pictures to other areas in my post? So far they will only go at the top. Thanks for any help! Joy)

The show started with Lee Greenwood who has such a wonderful excitement for this country and uses his music to relay that excitement. He moves like a 20 something, though I'm pretty sure he's at least twice that since he's been in showbiz for over 30 years. He, of course, sang "Proud to be an American", which was just one of many of his patriotic songs. He was on fire.

Next up was Charlie Daniels, who I had seen over 25 years ago in Chicago. He is fabulous! He uses the fiddle (not to be called a violin when it's played like this!) like it's an extension of his arm. You can even see the marks on the fiddle from the beating it takes whenever he plays it. He is a true master. My husband mentioned that the man playing the piano looked quite old. I laughed out loud. There wasn't anybody under 55 in the entire band which, I suspect, has a median age of 68! Having said that, I don't think you could find a better, more professional, talented or experienced band anywhere. Again I say WOW!

The big surprise was when Sean Hannity came out and sang "Devil Went Down to Georgia" with the band. The boy has got beat! Of course, this particular song isn't sung but rather rapped (before we called it rap) and he had it down pat. I have listened to the song over the years and it is very fast-moving with about 70 words per second so I imagine memorizing it was a bear to do. He got a standing "O" for that one and he definitely deserved it.

In between the music acts, Sean Hannity came out and spoke to the crowd (a full house, by the way). Col. Oliver North (Ret.) was there to the delight of everyone in the crowd. What a patriot! On the big screens between acts, soldiers from the Houston area stationed in Iraq & Afghanistan were shown saying "hi" to their loved ones. That was so great. At one point, Sean brought out three families to talk to their loved ones LIVE in Iraq. The sound delay made it funny so help with the profound feeling of that big lump in your throat. Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchinson and Gov. Rick Perry also spoke.

The third musician up was Michael W. Smith. He didn't come with a band or any special effects. He simply sat at the electric piano and sang his songs. I followed MWS since his beginnings in the early '80's. He is an amazingly talented man but more than that, he is a devote man of God. He pours his God-filled heart into his music and blesses everyone. He spoke of being at the White House a few weeks after 9/11. He said that Pres. Bush said to him, "W---that's what he calls me---you need to write a song about what happened." He said he was put on the spot and told the president that he would do his best. A few months later as he looked at the large US flag in his yard, this song came to him:

There She Stands
When the night Seems to say
All hope is lost Gone away
But I know I'm not alone
By the light She stands
There she waves Faithful friend
Shimmering stars Westward wind
Show the way Carry me
To the place She stands
Just when you think it might be over
Just when you think the fight is gone
Someone will risk his life to raise her
There she stands
There she flies
Clear blue skies Reminds us with red
Of those that died Washed in white
By the grave In their strength
She stands
When evil calls itself a martyr
When all your hopes come crashing down
Someone will pull her from the rubble
There she stands
We've seen her flying torn and tattered
We've seen her stand the test of time
And through it all the fools have fallen
There she stands By the dawn's Early light
And through the fight
She stands
What a wonderful song. He played his other songs but he accompanied this one with a video that went perfectly with the words.

Last up was Billy Ray Cyrus. I have to admit, I didn't know what to expect. My teenager is a big fan of his daughter, Miley Cyrus, and we've all watched hours upon hours of the show Hannah Montana, the show they star in on The Disney Channel. I remember his days of "Achy Breaky Heart" and how he was teased (unfairly, in my opinion) over that song. I purchased his album back then and really like his voice and his style. However, it seemed that the "cool" country folk and the late night guys decided it was better to tear down than lift up. BRC was a bit late coming out and there was no explanation offered. However, once he hit the stage, he turned it up several notches. He sang three times as long as the other entertainers. He sang his "Some Gave All"--an older song of his that I've always loved. Most of the crowd was on their feet. Veterans were the first to their feet. My husband is a Vietnam vet and does NOT stand up for many things other than the National Anthem. He was on his feet first! Billy Ray did a fabulous tribute to our military with this song and I wish he had more support. He talks very little during his concert, preferring to do his music. That's fine with me. Still, he could have talked as much as he wanted to this crowd because they loved him. Of course, he couldn't get away without doing Achy Breaky and that's what he finished with. Sean came out at the end and both men threw out souvenir footballs and beach balls.

The entire show lasted nearly 4 hours. It passed by so quickly that it was hard to believe it was that long. And we're talking four hours in Houston's heat. It was 111 degrees on the marque on the way there and down to a balmy 98 degrees on the way home! We're hardy stock here in Texas.

If you are able to go to this show, please do. It will definitely bless you and put the pride back in your heart. N-Joy

4 comments:

  1. Oh Joy, I'm really kicking myself for not getting tickets to this. I was at HEB Market Street earlier in the day and could hear the soundcheck going on. I know this had to be so much fun.

    Also, when you are in the edit screen of your post. Just click on the image and drag it down to where you want it. Hope this helps,

    Joy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you had a great time. We always watch Fox News down here, so I even know who Sean Hannity is... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Joy,
    I´ve awarded you with an award on my post today. Hope you have time to pick it up and participate!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi; found your blog through Betty in Paraguay; what a great concert this was! they were having one in San Diego (or perhaps had it already), and I live about 70 miles from it. I should have thought about going; sounded like it was really well put together!

    betty

    ReplyDelete