Thursday, July 23, 2009

Doe, A Deer....




We moved back to the Houston area from Ohio last summer. Our criteria for moving back revolved around these two things: 1) to live outside of Harris County, where the crime and taxes are high, and 2) live close enough to our church so we could easily get there for the many activities and services. We were able to find some land north of Houston and built our home here.

The nicest thing about where we live is that we are close enough to enjoy all the benefits of a big city but are far enough out in the "boondocks" to enjoy the wildlife. Our favorite wildlife to enjoy is the many deer that stop by daily for a drink of water or some food. We keep both in our yard, close to the woods behind our house, so that we have visitors all day long.

Lately, we have been visited by a doe and three fawn. We've checked and most does have just one baby at a time and at the most, twins. These three little babies have kept us in awe. We've come to the conclusion that the mamas must take turns looking after the little ones and these babies have possibly two or three different mommies. They differ in size ever so slightly so we're fairly sure this is the case.

Every time these beautiful creatures enter our yard, we stop everything and watch them. They've become accustomed to us and hardly give us a glance and go about their business. I'm in awe of their beauty and can't help but hear this old hymn as I watch them.


As the Deer

As the deer pants for the water, so my soul longs after You.
You alone are my heart's desire and I long to worship You.


[Chorus]
You alone are my strength, my shield, to You alone may my spirit yield.
You alone are my hearts desire and I long to worship You.


I want You more than gold and silver, only You can satisfy.
You alone are the real joy Giver and the apple of my eye.
(Chorus)


You're my friend and You are my brother, even though You are a King.
I love You more than any other, so much more than anything.
(Chorus)
Today, as you go about your daily activities, take a moment to look around and see the many blessings God has put there for you to...n-Joy!

Have a blessed day!




2 comments:

  1. Sounds like the same reason we moved out of Harris County. I'd never go back.
    That is amazing having 3 fawn together. You are probably right...They are switching off while the other mom does errands. :)
    I love that song too.

    Joy

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful song with such meaningful words. It´s only recently that I have come to appreciate poetry or good songs. Love it.
    You are truly blessed to live in such an area where the deers come to your "front door"! :)

    ReplyDelete