Tuesday, August 25, 2009

First Day of the Last Year of Junior High

Designing Women


Okay, I admit, I stole that title from an episode of Designing Women, my favorite comedy show back in the '80's. The episode was about when Charlene went into the hospital to have her baby girl on "The First Day of the Last Decade of the 20th Century" aka: Jan. 1, 1990. If you ever get the opportunity to see an (early) episode of Designing Women, take the half hour and watch it. It was one of those shows we ladies would talk about in the office the morning after it was on.


Being this is the end of August, I'm positive I'm the one millionth blogger writing about the first day of school. It's relevant to everyone whether it's your child starting school for the first time or your older one going back for another year. Just about everyone is connected to the start of school in some way. Even before we had our daughter, the start of school affected me because traffic was always a mess that first morning and I would have to plan on leaving a little earlier for work. It also meant longer lines at Walmart and Kroger the evening of the first day of school. No parent has EVER had all the required supplies on that first day of school. So, you see, even if you don't have a child, grandchild, neighbor or relative that is school age, you're affected by the start of the school year in some way.





Anna--first day of 8th grade


Today was Anna's first day back to school, her final year of junior high. She is the "Big Dawg on Campus" this year. It was so evident that she, and her friends, were now the "seniors" at her school, that it was almost palpable on registration day. She and her friends were squealing and hugging and ya knowing and OMGing all over the place. "Did you get Mrs. Palakinkadoodle for Math?" "Ewwwww, she's horrible!" "I've got Mr. Bigglethorp for History 2nd period. I'm soooooooo glad! He's easy!" "I have Mr. Bigglethorp for 2nd period History, too! (simultaneous scream) Ahhhhhhh!" "I'm soooooo glad I don't have to ride the bus this year." ...And so on. The poor newbie 7th graders walked around like lost little sheep, marveling at all the cool 8th graders. And my daughter was having the time of her life.

As I sat back and watched the controlled hysteria, I couldn't help but smile. These kids were carefree. They were all just reveling in the joy of seeing each other again after being apart for 2 1/2 months. Remember those days? Seeing it happening with my daughter brought me right back to that time in my life. Faces would light up whenever a friend was spotted. All was right with their world. Oh, to have life be that simple again.

I sometimes wonder if we will have that feeling when we get to Heaven. Will it be like our first day back at school as we feel the comfort of seeing familiar faces? Will we recognize the loved ones that went on before us and squeal with delight at seeing them again? Or will we be consumed by the nearness of God on the throne and Christ to His right? Will we simply be in awe and not have that need to reconnect with loved ones but rather just be filled with the warmth of knowing we are surrounded by all consuming love? Whatever it is like, we know that it will be more glorious than anything we could ever possibly imagine.

I love this song by Mercy Me and I find myself humming or singing it and reflecting on the questions it asks. What will Heaven be like? This song expresses some of my own thoughts/questions, only in a much more melodic way. I hope it blesses you like it has blessed me. ~nJoy!






I Can Only Imagine

I can only imagine
What it will be like When I walk By Your side
I can only imagine
What my eyes will see When Your face is before me
I can only imagine I can only imagine

[Chorus]:

Surrounded by Your glory, what will my heart feel
Will I dance for You Jesus or in awe of You be still?
Will I stand in Your presence, to my knees will I fall?
Will I sing hallelujah, will I be able to speak at all?
I can only imagine I can only imagine

I can only imagine When that day comes
When I find myself standing in the Son
I can only imagine
When all I will do Is forever
Forever worship You
I can only imagine I can only imagine

Surrounded by Your glory, what will my heart feel
Will I dance for You Jesus or in awe of You be still?
Will I stand in Your presence, to my knees will I fall?
Will I sing hallelujah, will I be able to speak at all?
I can only imagine, yeahh I can only imagine

Surrounded by Your glory, what will my heart feel
Will I dance for You Jesus or in awe of You be still?
Will I stand in Your presence, to my knees will I fall?
Will I sing hallelujah, will I be able to speak at all?
I can only imagine, yeahhh I can only imagine

I can only imagine, yeah
I can only imagine
I can only imagine
I can only imagine
I can only imagine
When all I will do Is forever
Forever worship you
I can only imagine

8 comments:

  1. your daughter is beautiful! wishing her a great school year! and after being on the top in 8th grade, then they have to start all over again in high school at the bottom of the pile so to speak

    I think heaven will be awesome because of seeing Jesus and being with him face to face for all of eternity. I'm not sure of all the logistics of heaven, but I know for sure its one place I am looking forward to being at the right time and FOREVER!!

    my kids are out of school now so I'm out of the loop of back to school, but I do remember those exciting first days of school :)

    enjoy!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that song! I´m actually listenting to it now on Youtube.
    I hope your daughter has a special year as a senior. She looks so happy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad she's having a great time back at school. I can't believe our girls are in their last year of jr. hi.
    OK. Designing Women was one of the all time best TV shows ever. I miss it.
    It was my FAVORITE. Thanks for reminding me of it. I remember that episode.
    I love that song too.
    I can only imagine.

    Joy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Miss Joy...thank you for your sweet comment today. Made my day:) I'll need a paper bag when my big chick starts 8th grade;) this whole growing up thing is HARD!

    ReplyDelete
  5. it's me again. i just got your comment from the other day and again you know just what to say to bless my socks off. thank you for taking a minute to let me know that you are there and that what i write or share makes a difference. i so appreciate that! have a blessed day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for your special comment and wishing your daughter the best with her new school year. They grow up so quickly and school is such a precious time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope this gets to you girlie...the color of my master bathroom is atmospheric by Benjamin Moore. Love that color...let me know if you need any colors. I don't mind at all.

    ReplyDelete