Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Firsts

Firsts are always exciting. And when you reach a certain age, you begin to realize that you don't have many "firsts" anymore.

There were plenty of great "firsts" when I was younger: first time I rode my bicycle without the training wheels, the first time I rode on a school bus, first time I mowed the lawn, first time I fell off my bicycle and skinned my knees, first time I ever held a baby...lots of firsts. As I've grown older, the "firsts" have become fewer and fewer.

I remember in my twenties when I "first" realized that my "firsts" were dwindling. I was a bit sad about it at the time. Seems silly now that I'm well into my forties to think that I thought my twenties were the end of my "firsts," but at the time, I remember thinking "I need to have a "first."

When I was about 22, a friend of mine was about to open his "first" restaurant. He had invited friends and family to stop by the day before the grand opening to celebrate. As everyone was sitting at a small group of tables talking and listening to music, I began to look around the room. Everything was pristine. There were no stains on the table clothes, no cigarette burns in the carpet, no finger smudges on the jukebox. That's when I got the bright idea that I wanted to be the first person to sit at every booth and every table.

I quietly slipped away from the group and began sitting in every chair and booth in the room. I was about one third of the way through the room, and thinking I was pretty clever to have thought of this, when someone noticed me. I looked up to see everyone staring at me, smiling that nervous smile that says "she looks normal but what in the world is she doing...and is she dangerous?" My friend, the new owner, shouted over the loud music and asked me what in the world I was doing. Without breaking my rhythm I replied, "I'm sitting in every one of your chairs. I want to be the first."

When I had accomplished my goal of sitting everywhere there was a seat, I rejoined the group. Sure, I got some razzing, but it didn't bother me. I had made my own first and I was happy. I even heard a couple of people say they wish they had thought of that.

Okay, so that wasn't the greatest story every told. It was no Wright brothers at Kitty Hawk or first man on the moon, but it leads me to this: This is my first ever blog and at the ripe 'ol age of 47, it feels pretty good to have a first.

I don't know where this will take me. I don't know how often I will post. I don't even know what I'll post. I just know that I want to be an encouragement to whomever happens to stumble upon my little blog. I want everyone who spends a few minutes with me and my thoughts to feel a little better than they did before they read it.

So, here's to firsts! And to those willing to join me on this, my FIRST blog!

Happy First Day!

N-Joy!

8 comments:

  1. Am I the FIRST to leave a comment on your new blog. I hope so. I'm so excited to see you in Blogger land. I can't wait to read what is on your mind. Welcome.
    I haven't thought much about first, but you are right they start dwindling. I guess I see it more in my kids now. Paige was my first baby, first toddler, first to go to school, first teenager...
    Not so much in myself.

    Joy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations, Joy! Your photo header is beautiful. Welcome to the blogosphere. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to blogging. Doesn't matter how often you post and whether it is for yourself and family or to make new friends. Come visit sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there! Welcome! I love blogging and "meeting" new people on here. You and I are near the same age, I am a wee bit older.

    I never thought about my "firsts" dwindling! Now I must challenge myself to be aware of making some new "firsts" in my life!

    I like your style of writing and I think I will enjoy your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great first post! I think mine was something like, "Uhh, maybe I'll start a blog." Welcome to the blogasphere...I hope you have pleasant experience!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Joy, Welcome to the world of blogging. A word of warning though: it's addictive!!!!! ha ha.... You will meet people from all over the world, people who have alot in common with you. You will love it.

    IF you want followers and people to comment on your blog, you need to visit others' blogs and leave comments. Tell them you are new and would love to hear from them. People will come ---but remember to keep revisiting them.

    Hope you visit my blog.
    Hugs,
    Betsy
    (I'm the 'other' Joy's friend!!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Did you take that picture yourself? I love it.

    Joy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello from Paraguay! Joy (the other) said we would enjoy your blog and she was right. I like to find blogs of people my own age (48) and I enjoyed your post! LOVE the picture in your header, did you take it?
    Welcome to the blogging world! Hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

    ReplyDelete